Thursday, July 9, 2009

Snip - Snip and there goes my hair

Hi all,


Today (July 9th 2009) was a special day. I had my hair snipped for the first time. Chowla karma also known as Chudakarana Samskara is one of the 16 samskara's (rites of passage) every person should go thorugh. The first hair cut has to be done on an auspicious day so that both Ayushya (longevity) and Varchas (Aura or personality) can be enhanced.

Day started off with a shower at home (how I hate that shower!!). We went to Sri Krishna Vrundavana and amma changed me into traditional dress. Check the pictures on the right. Don't I look cute?

We had punyaaha, ganapathi pooja and chowla home followed by cermonial hair cut. The scissors appa was using were so small that it would have taken days to cut my loooooong hair. We decided that we will pay a visit to the barber shop later to take care of my hair. Lo and behold, Sri Yogeendra Bhat - the head priest of the temple told me and appa to take bath AGAIN!. Okay I gave my consent and did not make much of a fuss.

After poornahuti (final stage of the homa or sacred fire ritual ) we had a good lunch and headed home. Looking forward to meet Paula tomorrow in my first visit to the barber shop.

Enjoy the photos,
Saaranga

No comments: